The name “Alubijid” was derived from the name of a tree locally called alubijid tree or alubijod. Its scientific name is Spondias pinnata (L.f.) Kurz Anacardiaceae. It is commonly known as Hog plum (En.); libas (Pilipino) lannu, lanu (Cagayan); libas (Bataan, Tayabas, Capiz, Cotabato, Zamboanga) lubas, libas (Bicol).
HISTORY OF ALUBIJID
The origin of the town’s name “ALUBIJID” could be traced back to the pre-Spanish era when what is now known as Barangay Baybay used to be dotted with big trees named Alubijid. Legend has it that some of these trees became landmarks particularly the huge ones that grew near the “Bukana” of a river and a “Looc”which was the landing site of different traders from other islands of the archipelago. The place where these traders used to land was then called “alubijid”.
The natives whom the traders visited congregated at Ilihan Hill, located near a river. It was an ideal dwelling place for them since from its summit, one could see Macajalar Bay and even the seas beyond Sulawan Point. They could also immediately view the incoming vessels of any traders and marauders. The place was also called “CALUMAT” coined from the words “Cauban, Agpas, Lukso, Ugma, Mamatay, Anak Tanan”, a password that was adopted by the natives to warn them of surprise attacks from pirates and other marauders.
The natives’ settlement expanded as far as Barangays Talaba and Sampatulog which are also elevated areas. Active trading between the natives in these places and visiting traders had continued up to the Spanish era, and these areas became the core of Spanish Influence in the late 16th century. In fact, recent findings showed that some residents had excavated Chinese porcelains, brass gongs, and old coins in these areas.
Dean Manuel Gapuz, who conducted investigations and research of the history of the town, noted that:
- These settlements used to be visited by Sultan Kudarat of Cotabato when he recruited forces to fight against the invading Spaniards.
- Some of Kudarat’s men stayed in the place and intermarried with the natives.
- As early as 1861, Alubijid was already an established community headed by local leaders until the outbreak of Philippine revolution against Spain in 1896.
- During the American occupation in the early 20th century, Alubijid was attached to agayan as a barrio.
It was from this humble beginning that the present municipality emerged.
On May 26, 1933, the Municipal Council of Cagayan, Misamis Oriental passed Resolution No. 290 recommending the barrios of El Salvador and Alubijid to become two separate district municipalities. Immediately the people of Alubijid headed by Atty. Daniel S. Galarrita made a petition for turning Alubijid into a municipality. He was supported by Richard Abellanosa, Vincent A. Sabellina, Timoteo Balacuit, Sr., Wenceslao- Abellanosa, Quirico Villastique, Remedios Jamis Generalao, Onofre Ubay-Ubay, Felix M. Roxas, Sixto M. Roxas, Ismael B. Labis, Arcadio Balacuit, Lope Madjos, Bernabe Pacamalan, Eugenio Madrid, and Juanario Macalaguing, among others.
On June 4, 1933, Provincial Governor Segundo Gasto gathered and promised the people of Alubijid that he will personally bring the petition for the municipalization of Alubijid, and work for approval from the Department of Interior in Manila. To strengthen the movement, on June 4, 1933, Atty. Daniel S. Galarrita wrote Representative Isidro Vamenta, acting Senate President Jose A. Clarin and Senator Juan Torralba of the 11th Senatorial District, helped facilitate the approval of the petition for Alubijid to become a municipality. From then on, the people steadily pursued their objective, and the following dates became a significant part of Alubijid history:
- November 14, 1937 – the Undersecretary of the Interior, Honorable Rufino Luna sent the Provincial Board of Misamis Oriental a communication outlining the necessary requirements for the creation of a new municipality of Alubijid.
- December 21, 1938 – the petitioners promptly prepared the requirements which took them more than a year to complete and then sent all of these to the Secretary of Interior, who then submitted them to the President of the Philippines with favorable recommendation for the organized portion of the municipality of Cagayan to form into an independent municipality of Alubijid.
- April 5, 1940 – His Excellency Manuel L. Quezon, President of the Commonwealth of the Philippines signed Executive Order No.266, creating the Municipality of Alubijid from the portion of the Municipality of Cagayan, Misamis Oriental with the following barrios: Gitaguim, Laguindingan, Kibaghot, Matangad, Mauswagon, and Pangayawan.
The newborn municipality was formally inaugurated on July 1, 1940 with Don Gregorio Pelaez, he Provincial Governor presenting the newly appointed officials who were as follows: Timoteo Balacuit Sr., Municipal Mayor; Ismael B. Labis, Municipal Vice Mayor; Felix Roxas, Bernabe Pacamalan, Eugenio Madrid, Bartolome Tabura, Timoteo Abejo, Lino Maagad and Felixberto Roxas,Sr., as the Municipal Councilors.
Alubijid is a watershed cradle and center of education for West Misamis
Oriental, provider of airport and commercial related services, an agri-industrial
community with diversified, high yielding farms, with healthy, literate people residing in safe and peaceful surroundings supported by a restored clean and green
and well balanced environment as well as safe, sufficient and appropriate infrastructure systems and inspired by a concerned, responsible and dynamic government.
To develop a God-Fearing and family-centered citizenry, highly motivated
and empowered for their participation on local affairs with committed civil servants
to attain self-reliant community.
- LGU CLASSIFICATION: Fourth (4th) Class Municipality
- POPULATION: 32,180 (7,109 households)
- LAND AREA: 10,275 hectares
- NO. OF BARANGAYS: 16 barangays
- TOTAL REVENUE: Php53,084,085.00
- IRA Share – Php46,309,085.00;
- Local Source Revenue – Php6,665,000.00;
- Other Revenue – Php110,000.00