LEGEND, HISTORY and GOVERNANCE

The Municipality of Alubijid is located in the western coast of Misamis Oriental.

The origin of the town’s name could be traced during the pre-spanish time when what is now barangay Baybay had been dotted by big trees named “ALUBIJID” (Spondias Pinnata (L.F.) Kurz Anardiaceae). Legend had it that some of these trees have become landmarks particularly the huge ones that have grown near the “Bukana” of a river and a “Looc” which had been the landing sites of different traders from other islands of the archipelago. From these traders, the place where they used to land was called “Alubijid”.

The natives from whom the traders visited had congregated on a place called “ILIHAN HILL” near a river. It was an ideal dwelling place of the natives since from its summit one could see Macajalar Bay and even the seas beyond Sulawan Point and could immediately view the incoming vessels of any traders and marauders. The place was also called “CALUMAT” coined from the word “Cauban, Agpas, Lukso, Ugma, Mamatay, Anak Tanan”, a password adopted by the natives to warn them of surprise attacks of pirates and other marauders.

The natives’ settlement had expanded as far as Barangay Talaba and Sampatulog which are also elevated areas. Recent findings showed that some residents of the areas had excavated chinese porcelains, brass gongs and old coins on site. Active trading between the natives in these places and visiting traders had continued up to the Spanish influence in the late 18th century.

Dean Manuel Gapuz who conducted investigations and researches of the history of the town noted that these settlements we’re visited also by Sultan Kudarat of Cotabato when he was recruiting forces to fight against the invading Spaniards. Some of Kudarat’s men stayed in the place and inter-married with the natives. He further noted that as early as 1861, Alubijid was already an established community headed by local leaders until the outbreak of Philippine Revolution against Spain in 1896.

Based on archival records of the team from the Archaeological Studies Program of the University of the Philippines – Diliman (ASP-UPD) headed by Prof. Lee M. Neri,, it was about this time that 3-brick making “kilns” or “hornos” were put-up by Spanish Jesuits in Alubijid, Jasaan and Tagoloan, to help construct their churches in Northern Mindanao, like the Holy Cross Church in Alubijid, Nuestra Sra. De las Nieves church in El Salvador and the Immaculada Concepcion church in Jasaan.

Alubijid horno is the only “Kiln” in Misamis Oriental that was built during the Spanish period that survived the onslaught of time. It is believed to be over a 100 years old, and many residents take pride of the fact that the prime Alubijid Bricks were used as building materials of the famous 3-centuries old Baclayon Church of Bohol.

During the American occupation in the early 20th century, Alubijid was attached to Cagayan as a barrio. It was from this humble beginning that the present municipality has emerged.

On May 26, 1933, the Municipal Council of Cagayan de Oro, Misamis Oriental passed Resolution No. 290 recommending the barrios of El Salvador and Alubijid to become two separate district municipalities. Immediately the people of Alubijid, headed by Atty. Daniel S. Galarrita made a petition for the creation of Alubijid into a municipality. He was supported by Ricardo Abellanosa, Vicente A. Sabellina, Timoteo Balacuit, Sr., Wenceslao Abellanosa, Quirico Villastique, Remedios Jamis Generalao, Onofre Ubayubay, Felix M. Roxas, Ismael B. Labis, Arcadio Balacuit, Luis Balacuit, Lope Madjos, Bernabe Pacamalan, Eugenio Madrid and Januario Macalaguing among others. So that on June 4, 1933, Provincial Governor Segundo Gaston promised the people of Alubijid who were gathered on assembly that he will personally bring the petition for the creation of Alubijid into a municipality and work for the approval with the Department of Interior in Manila.

To strengthen the movement, Atty. Daniel S. Galarrita wrote Rep. Isidro Vamenta, Acting Senate President Jose A. Clarin and Sen. Juan Toralba of the 11th Senatorial District to help facilitate the approval of the petition for Alubijid to become a municipality on June 4, 1933. From that period on, the people steadily pursued their objectives.

At last, on November 14, 1937, the Undersecretary of the Interior Hon. Rufino Luna sent to the Provincial Board of Misamis Oriental, a communication outlining the necessary requirements for the creation of the new municipality of Alubijid. The petitioners promptly prepared the requirements and after more than a year of preparation sent it back to the Secretary of the Interior for action on December 21, 1938. The Department of the Interior submitted to the President of the Philippines with favorable recommendation for the organized portion of the Municipa- lity of Cagayan to form into an independent Municipality of Alubijid on April 18, 1939.

Finally on April 5, 1940, His Excellency Manuel L. Quezon, President of the Commonwealth of the Philippines signed Executive Order No. 266 creating the Municipality of Alubijid from the portion of the Municipality of Cagayan, Misamis Oriental with the following barrios: Gitagum, Laguindingan, Kibaghot, Matangad, Mauswagon and Pangayawan. The new born Municipality of Alubijid was formally inaugurated on July 1, 1940 with Don Gregorio Pelaez, the Provincial Governor inducting the newly appointed officials who were as follows:

Timoteo Balacuit Sr. —Municipal Mayor
Ismael B. Labis, Sr. —Municipal Vice Mayor
Felix Roxas —Municipal Councilor
Bernabe Pacamalan —Municipal Councilor
Eugenio Madrid —Municipal Councilor
Bartolome Tabura —Municipal Councilor
Timoteo Abejo —Municipal Councilor
Lino Maagad —Municipal Councilor
Felixberto Roxas Sr. —Municipal Secretary

The first Municipal Building was a two-storey house donated by the Late Jose Akut for school purposes but utilized as the seat of the timoteomunicipal government.
After more than a year from its creation, the first local election was held on November 11, 1940, in which the elected officials were mostly the appointed ones headed by Timoteo Balacuit, Sr. as Municipal Mayor. Upon the outbreak of the Second World War on December 8, 1941, the local civil government continued its operation. However, on May 3, 1942 the Japanese Imperial Forces captured and occupied Cagayan, the capital town and placed all civil government offices under the Japanese Military control including the town of Alubijid.
As the war progressed, the guerilla forces under Major Angels Limena captured and occupied the town of Alubijid on October 22, 1942. The Japanese-backed government was immediately disbanded and the town was placed under the military control of the 109th Infantry Division.
The restoration of the postwar local government of Alubijid was effected on January 1, 1945, with appointed Municipal Officials namely:
Municipal Mayor: Bartolome Tabura
Vice Mayor: Enrique Abellanosa
Municipal Councilors: Remedios J. Generalao,
Pablo Sabellina
Ismael B. Labis
Lino Maagad
Valeriano Blanco
Timoteo Abejo

Normalization was undertaken and the people started to work for their development. One of their pressing agenda was the advancement of the educational level of the residents, so that on July 1, 1947, the Alubijid Junior High School was opened with a population of 112 students handled by four (4) teachers.
The first local election after the war took place in 1948 with Jesus Ramos as Municipal Mayor. The town people continued to march to progress and development and it was during this term that Alubijid Junior High School was converted to Provincial High School.

Ismael B. Labis, Sr., was elected Municipal Mayor in 1952 and continually held the office from 1952 to 1971. During his incumbency, the ismaeltown expanded its territories by virtue of Executive Order No. 96 dated February 9, 1955, to Barrio Lourdes once a Municipal District of Bukidnon. However, Barrio Gitagum separated and became an independent Municipality on June 8, 1961 with barrios Matangad and Pangayawan under its jurisdiction and Barrio Laguindingan separated as well and became an independent municipality taking barrios Kibaghot and Mauswagon with it on July 22, 1963. Despite these separations, many new barrios were created namely Barrio Sungay in 1953; Barrio Lumbo in 1954; Barrio Taparak in 1957; Barrio Benigwayan, Molocboloc, Sampatulog and Calatcat in 1960; Barrio Loguilo, Lagtang and Talaba in 1963; Barrio Baybay in 1965, Barrio Tugasnon in 1966 and Barrios Lanao and Tula in 1968.
In the field of education, Mayor Labis together with local educators headed by Mr. Francisco Galarrita, the Alubijid High School Principal worked for the nationalization of the school, and the same was approved on June 24, 1964 by virtue of R.A. 3877 which proposal was drafted through the dedicated efforts among others, of Atty. Federico M. Gapuz and Atty. Damaso Tubelleja, both former secretaries to the Late Congressman Vicente de Lara, who further facilitated the passage of the bill, making the school the first national high school in Northern Mindanao. Among other significant achievements of his administration were the construction of the Municipal Amphitheater, the groundworks for installation of the Poblacion Watersystem, and the organization of the first Cooperative Credit Union in Western Misamis Oriental, which eventually led to the organization of the Misamis Oriental Electric Service Cooperative (MORESCO), also the first rural electric cooperative in the country. The switching of MORESCO sub-station in Barrio Lumbo was on September 26, 1971 and the occasion was witnessed by then President Ferdinand E. Marcos.
Edilberto Ubay ubay was elected Municipal Mayor in 1972. He was the town’s Chief Exe- cutive up to May 1986, when he was appointed edilbertoMember of the Sangguniang Panlalawigan. The following projects were implemented during his term: installation of the Poblacion waterworks system, renovation of Municipal Hall; Construction of School Buildings, conversion of Lourdes Elementary School to Alubijid College of Agriculture, a Satellite of Don Mariano Marcos Memorial Polytechnic State College on July 1979 and the installation of the Bukidnon State College External Studies-ANCHS Center on June 1981, through the initiative of the late Mr. Frumencio U. Quiblat (ANCHS Principal) and encouragement of Dr. Jaime M. Gellor, former President , Bukidnon State College.
On May 14, 1986, as an aftermath of EDSA Revolution, Dr. Fortunato L. Jamis, was appointed OIC-Municipal Mayor. The Caretaker Municipal Officials were appointed on December 1, 1987 to February 1,1988 with Mr. Noe C. Abaday as Municipal Mayor. The first local election after the revolutionary government was held in 1988 and Dr. Fortunato L. Jamis convincingly won as Municipal Mayor and held the office until 1997. He continued to serve the people as member of the Provincial Board of Misamis Oriental in 1998 to 2001 and was re-elected Municipal Mayor in 2004 to 2007 election.

 

By rule of succession, Armando M. Elarmo was appointed Municipal Mayor on March 27, 1998 with Jaime B. Balansag as Vice armandoMayor due to resignation of Dr. Fortunato L. Jamis who filed his candidacy as Provincial Board Member and Vice Mayor Liborio F. Quilab, who run for the Mayor’s position. The untimely passing away of Dr. Fortunato L. Jamis on July 20, 2007 caused one more appointment of Armando M. Elarmo as Municipal Mayor by rule of succession on July 23, 2007, Ricky L. Ubay-ubay the first councilor in line as Vice Mayor, and Dr. Emmanuel L. Jamis (DVM) as member of the Sangguniang Bayan on April 24, 2009.

Remarkable events and developmental programs and projects during these terms are the following:

  • The assignment of an army battalion (53rd IB) in the municipality in May 1986 due to insurgency problem. The Local Leadership with the sincere support of the Municipal Peace & Order Council, the military and the local police force acted with firmness on the problem through constant dialogues;
  • Construction of the first school-building in Barangay Baybay in 1986; Construction of Tourism facilities at Caba-caba beach, Loguilo;
  • Concreting of Municipal Streets, Construction/Rehab/Repair of FMRs, Bridges, Water facilities, School Buildings; Markets, Irrigation Dams, Spillways;
  • Multi-million Barangay Waterworks Program (BWP) in Barangay Poblacion and Sampatulog;
  • Construction of bridge in Horno, and sitio Tin-ao, Barangay Poblacion, Barangay Lanao Bridge, and Calanawan Bridge in Barangay Sungay, under the Tulay ng Pangulo Program.
  • Fertilizer Loaning Program (Provincial Pagkain ng Bayan Program) implemented thru the Municipal Agriculture & Fishery Council (MAFC) headed by the energetic Chairman, Mr. Wilfred A. Adviento;
  • Self Employment Assistance (SEA) Program; Cattle & Carabao & Chicken Dispersal Program; various livelihood programs assisted by Project Loyola of Xavier Science Foundation (USAID) and Chaves Foundation Livelihood Program for farmers, fishermen, vendors which includes basket weaving, paper making and bamboo craft, and solar salt making within the SPDA area;
  • Rehab of Municipal Building, Rehab/Expansion of Municipal Water System; Construction of Covered Court;
  • Establishment of the 24-hour Lying-in Clinic,

At present, the Local Government is headed by Mayor Alvin Giovanni A. Labis having won the election in 2010 and 2013 with Dr. Emmanuel L. Jamis, as Vice Mayor.

giovanni Mayor Labis previously served the town as duly elected KB Chairman in 1982 and as Municipal Mayor in 1998-2004.

Notable major accomplishments during his administration:

PROGRAMS and INFRASTRUCTURE PROJECTS
(1998-2004)

  • Completion of municipal streets concreting – Barangay Poblacion
  • The acquisition of a half-hectare site in Barangay Calatcat as temporary garbage dump site;
  • c. Acquisition of 1.5 hectare of land in Barangay Lanao as the expanded site of the Public Cemetery;
  • Acquisition of the old Rural Bank building as the new office of the Agricultural Services;
  • Acquisition of a 6,000-square meter property in Barangay Calatcat as the new site of the barangay government;
  • Establishment of the Lonsi Elementary School in Barangay Tugasnon and Sikiton Elementary School in Barangay Lourdes;
  • Improvement and construction of the Municipal Health Center and Municipal Hall which now accommodates the Mayor’s Office;
  • Acquisitation of the new fire truck from the Bureau of Fire Protection (BFP) and the reconditioned Garbage Dump truck;
  • The energization projects in various sitios in tandem with the MORESCO-1 by way of providing the required equity and counterpart fund;
  • The construction of bailey bridges under the Tulay ng Pangulo Program;

Aside from these, the construction and or improvement of day care centers, barangay health centers, multi-purpose pavements, farm to-market roads, flood-control structures, barangay public market, multi-purpose building, and various barangay water systems were also implemented.

(2010 to Present)The “Daang-Matuwid” Program and the abolition of the Priority Development Assistance Fund (PDAF) brought and implemented big-ticket infrastructure projects in the municipality from several National Government Agencies (NGAs), the exceptional ones are as follows:
Enrollment in the Mindanao Rural Development Program (MRDP) has brought about the complete rehabilitation of the Talaba II – Quiabo, Sampatulog Farm-to-Market Road (FMR); the access to potable water by residents in Barangay Baybay and Lagtang; and the multi-million peso livelihood assistance by existing farmers cooperative in Sungay, Lourdes, Tula, Benigwayan, Lagtang, Sampatulog and Baybay; with total project cost of about P15M;

  • Acquisition of a new ambulance from the Philippine Charity Sweepstakes Office (PCSO);
  • The annual school building project of the Department of Education (DepEd) has so far put-up se-veral classroom buildings in almost all barangays with aggregate project cost of no less than P50M;
  • The Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) has included the Lanao Barangay Road in its Airport Road Network Plan and concreting of the 3.7 km stretch of gravel road together with the construction of a permanent bridge in the amount of P126M;
  • The National Electrification Administration (NEA) through the MORESCO-1 has included Alubijid in its Sitio Energization Program (SEP) and has energized thus far 59 sitios benefiting 944 households at a total cost of P126M;
  • The Department of Agriculture (DA) has poured in the sum of P40M for the concreting of farm-to-market roads in Barangays Lumbo, Lagtang, Tugasnon, and Tula aside from its regular programs in crop production and post-harvest facilities under the Agri-Pinoy Program;
  • The Office of the Civil Defense (OCD) has assisted the Local Government Unit in rehabilitating the Calanawan-Sungay Tulay ng Pangulo by way of providing P7.3M financial assistance;
  • The Department of Health (DOH) through the Facilities Enhancement Program, has provided P1.5M for further improvement and renovation of the Municipal Health Center – Lying-In Clinic thus, strengthening the LGUs Maternal Care Program through facility based delivery system;
  • i. The Department of Science and Technology (DOST) through Project NOAH, has installed a P200,000.00 flood monitoring instrument in Barangay Benigwayan as early-warning and disaster-mitigation device to flood-prone inhabitants residing in low-lying areas of Siare, Baybay and Tambacan, Loguilo;
  • The National Housing Authority (NHA) has greatly supported the LGU’s Resettlement and Relocation Project by way of providing financial grant of P12M for the physical development of the Sungay Relocation and Resettlement Village;
  • The Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) has twice conferred the LGU the Seal of Good Housekeeping (SGH) and drawn P2M from its Philippine Challenge Fund (PCF) to finance the improvement of the Public Market and the construction of the Incidence Command Center. It also provided P2.3M for the construction of a potable water system in Barangay Sungay under its Sagana at Ligtas na Tubig sa Pamayanan (SALINTUBIG) Program;
  • The Department of Environment and National Resources (DENR) has included the LGU in its National Greening Program (NGP) and financed the reforestation efforts in Lunao, Sungay; mangrove planting in Barangay Molocboloc; and urban greening project in Barangay Poblacion;
  • The Department of Budget and Management (DBM) under the Bottom-Up Budgeting (BUB) approach has allocated P15M coursed through the Department of Agriculture (DA) for the concreting of Calatcat-Talaba-Sampatulog FMR AND P11.6M for the Integration of the Municipal Water System channeled through the DILG;
    The Bureau of Fisheries and Aquatic Resources (BFAR) has identified and awarded the LGU with a Community Fish Landing Center (CFLC) worth P2.6M;
  • The National Irrigation Administration (NIA) has funded the P16.7M Altubo-Guinotang Irrigation Project (Phase 1) and completely rehabilitated the Laingan,Taparak-Lourdes Communal Irrigation Project at a cost of P24.3M;

On the social services front, the Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) is an active partner in the fight against poverty through its Pantawid Pilipino Program with allocation of about P4M every 2 months to almost 3,000 households; Sustainable Livelihood Program (SLP) with financial grant of P1,546,000 to 15 women groups or associations; Social Pension for 583 seniors worth P874,500 per quarter; and Feeding Program for 969 pre-school children in the amount of P1.6M;

The Philippine Health Insurance (PhilHealth) has included under its Indigency Program a total of 4,000 enrollees valued at about P9M;
The Department of Trade and Industry (DTI) has trained 30 households and Lampakanay weavers in Barangay Baybay for their livelihood project and assisted the members in marketing efforts and product enhancement trainings;
The Department of Agrarian Reform (DAR) through the Agrarian Reform Communities (ARC) Program has transformed the Centro Sampatulog Farmers Cooperative into a Millionaire Cooperative aside from training and capability-building endeavors in existing ARCs in Talaba, Tugasnon, Tula, Sungay, Lourdes and Benigwayan.
These convergence of national government agencies (NGAs) programs are complemented by way of equity, counter-parting, technical assistance, and active collaboration of then Provincial Governor Oscar S. Moreno, the LGU, ABC, MBDA, ABAMIN, World Vision, Makasaka Mo, Giz-German Embassy and the active endorsement of the dynamic and indefatigable Congresswoman JULIETTE T. UY of the 2nd Legislative District of the province.
The Municipal and Barangay Local Governments hope to sustain and institutionalize community-wide and sector-participative activities such as Bisita sa Barangay, Blood-letting Campaign, Kainan ng Bayan, Kasalan ng Bayan, Buntis Congress, Alay-Lakad Fund Campaign, Scholarship Program, Pista sa Dagat, Coastal and River Clean-Up Campaign, Arbor Day Celebration, Brigada Eskwela, Women and Youth Celebration; and ABC, BHW, and Senior Citizen’s Congress.
As the 75th year of the creation of the Municipa-lity of Alubijid comes to pass, let us thank all Alubijidnons, living and dead who have contributed much in making this Diamond celebration a historic event among our people with varied cultural, religious and political beliefs and aspirations.
May this era serve as an inspiration and guiding light for us and the future generation in the quest for a united, peace-loving and God-fearing Alubijid.
We pray that God Almighty will continue to shower His Blessings to us and to those who have settled in other lands near and far.